VEHICLE IMPOUND NOTICE PURSUANT TO ARS §28-3511 - §28-3514
AN APPOINTMENT IS NEEDED TO PICK UP YOUR VEHICLE.
PLEASE CALL 623-500-3013 OR 623-500-3000 FOR AN APPOINTMENT.
The following items will be required for all vehicle releases:
- Current valid DRIVER LICENSE from state of domicile.
- Current valid vehicle REGISTRATION.
- Current valid proof of vehicle INSURANCE.
- Payment of the $150.00 ADMINISTRATIVE FEE to the Police Department.
- Payment of the TOWING and STORAGE CHARGES to the towing company.
- Proof that a certified ignition interlock has been installed in the impounded vehicle if required to do so by law.
Your vehicle was impounded for one or more of the following reasons:
- The person driving the vehicle has a revoked driver’s license for any reason OR has never been issued a license in Arizona or any other jurisdiction.
- The person driving the vehicle has a revoked or canceled driver’s license or has never been issued a license in Arizona or any other jurisdiction AND there is no evidence of mandatory vehicle insurance AND the driver of the vehicle was in an accident with property damage, injury or death of another person.
- The person driving the vehicle was arrested for Underage DUI, (§4-244) Extreme DUI (§28-1382) or Aggravated DUI (§28-1383) or Interlock Device (§28-1464).
- The person driving the vehicle is subject to a certified ignition interlock device requirement and was operating a vehicle without a functioning certified ignition interlock device.
The owner, the owner’s spouse, the lien holder or other interested party has the right to:
- Request a Post Storage Hearing (§28-3514) within ten (10) days from the date of the enclosed Vehicle Impoundment Notice for the sole purpose of determining the validity of the impoundment. The hearing request may be by phone at (623) 500-3013, by FAX at (623) 500-3019 or in writing to: El Mirage Police Department, 12401 W. Cinnabar Avenue, El Mirage, AZ 85335.
- Vehicles are released on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM by appointment only.
You may receive an early release of your vehicle with a valid driver’s license, current registration and auto insurance. IF one of the following exemptions applies:
- The vehicle is subject to bailment as described in ARS §28-3512.A.2.
- The owner’s driving privileges have been reinstated as described in ARS §28-3512.A.3.
- The vehicle is a rental as described in ARS §28-3512.A.4.
- The registered owner or owner’s spouse was not the driver at the time of impoundment per ARS §28-3512.A.5.
- There is evidence that the vehicle was stolen and reported stolen per ARS §28-3512.C.
- The vehicle is subject to foreclosure or repossession as per ARS §28-3512.D.
- The vehicle is equipped with a certified ignition interlock as per ARS §28-3512.F.
The vehicle will be released at the end of the thirty (30) day impoundment period if:
- The Administrative Fee of $150.00 is paid by debit/credit card or money order made payable to the City of El Mirage.
- The owner, owner’s spouse or agent presents a valid driver’s license, proof of current vehicle registration and proof of financial responsibility (mandatory insurance).
- Proof that a certified ignition interlock has been installed in the impounded vehicle, if required to do so by law. The towing company having physical possession of the vehicle will allow access to the impounded vehicle at no charge for the purpose of installing a certified ignition interlock device.
- The owner of the vehicle is liable for all towing fees and storage charges, unless is it found that the vehicle was improperly impounded by the El Mirage Police Department.
- The storage charges related to the impound of the vehicle shall not exceed fifteen (15) dollars for each day of storage and include all immobilization, towing and storage fees.