Apply for Building Permit

When a Permit is Required
Permits are required when there is new construction to a building, as well as some repair work or alterations to an existing structure. In addition, when a building is to be remodeled, renovated or enlarged, a permit is required.

New work consists of any new construction, commercial or residential, from vacant ground to a completed new structure. Projects such as painting, carpeting, wallpapering, replacing or adding cabinets, and trim work are considered cosmetic and do not require a permit. If you have any question regarding your project you may call 623-586-7968 to discuss your plans with a code official before beginning construction.

Purpose and Need of Permits
There is considerable concern about the purpose of and need for building permits. The requirement of building permits is mandated by the adoption by the City of El Mirage of the 2012 International Building, Fire, Mechanical and Plumbing Codes and the 2011 National Electrical Code.

Your home or business is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by the City of El Mirage, the value of your investment could be reduced. Insurance companies may not cover work done without permits and inspections. If you decide to sell a home or business that contains work completed without permits and inspections, you may be required to remove the work or make costly repairs.

Ensuring Conformity to Adopted Codes
The purpose of permits is to ensure conformity of the adopted codes by allowing qualified city inspectors to investigate and examine the work. Permits are required for repairs or replacement of the parts of a building related to maintenance of structural integrity and systems related to mechanical, electrical, or plumbing.

Please note: General maintenance does not require a permit.

When is a contractor required?
A homeowner can do any new construction work and all repairs to their home without the requirement of a licensed contractor. If a residence is used a rental unit, all repairs and construction work require a licensed contractor to do the work per Arizona Statute §32-1151 and §32-1154. Violation of this law is a Class One Misdemeanor.

A licensed contractor is required on all commercial repairs or new construction. A Registrar of Contractors (ROC) and City of El Mirage Business license is required to do work in El Mirage.